Thursday, November 15, 2012

Thoughtful Thursday...

Occasionally, I like to get online and read about what is going on in the world. Yesterday, was one of those days. I've been thrown into a spiraling thought process since then. I attempt to hash them out here:

As I scanned the headlines of BBC News, Ireland's mention quickly caught my attention. I then searched online for the Irish Times to find this article. Oh, the many layers of morality, ethics, politics, and religion tangled and mixed up in this tragic event. What's right, what's wrong?

I don't quite know what to think or say about this, except that I'm saddened by it. I am at a loss for the correct words to express my thoughts. At first I only know my emotion, then the deluge of questions

How rare is an even like this is? And, for it to happen in such a country as Ireland, in the Republic no less? A country already marked by and surviving through a tangled web morality, religion, and government.

There is something inside of me crying "Injustice! There is something that should have been done!" An attitude of being entitled to life. Truth: we're not. "Why couldn't they do this or that to save them both even?" It is death that I am crying out against. It is death that I, and others involved with this story now, am enraged by. Death.  

The law established in Ireland is to never impose death upon another, regardless of how far developed he or she is, and yet in keeping this law, a law with life-giving intention, not one; but two lives ended. The contradiction here is perplexing and overwhelming

Who are we, the created, to say who may live or die? Such a decision, or choice, seems much to large and overwhelming for us, the created. Shoes much too big to fill.  

It is natural to be enraged by death, to hate it. It's in our very being to desire life. We were created with such a desire and it's meant to be fulfilled...

My initials thoughts and emotions have faded, the dust is beginning to settle. As it lands, I'm questioning the media: Is this story now being cast in a particular light? Is this being blasted all over the news to stir the rallies? To push for a more "modern" rule? 

Either way, I'm saddened by this, and praying for Ireland.  



No comments:

Post a Comment